Insurers Reveal 2012 Roadmaps
CIGNA acquired HealthSpring, a Medicare plan, in 2011 and is incorporating the HealthSpring model, including physician partnering, targeted data exchanges, integrated care coordination and aligned incentives to help patients be healthier and lower their overall healthcare costs.
The insurer sees the dual-eligibles market as an opportunity and expects to pursue that market on a targeted basis. HealthSpring will play a role in positioning CIGNA to deliver the clinical quality and cost outcomes for that population.
Plans may include bidding with existing Medicaid contractors on a partnership basis. CIGNA also plans to pursue business on its own. The insurer just signed a contract to provide services to about 30,000 dual eligibles in Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
CIGNA is expanding its participation in accountable care organizations. It has 17 of these initiatives underway in 15 states.
In 2011 Human created a partnership and completed an acquisition that positions the insurer to use technology to develop rewards and incentives to foster behavior changes in its members. HumanaVitality, a partnership with Discovery Holdings Ltd. in South Africa, is an actuary-driven wellness and loyalty program that can be customized to individual needs.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told