Insurers Reveal 2012 Roadmaps
CIGNA acquired HealthSpring, a Medicare plan, in 2011 and is incorporating the HealthSpring model, including physician partnering, targeted data exchanges, integrated care coordination and aligned incentives to help patients be healthier and lower their overall healthcare costs.
The insurer sees the dual-eligibles market as an opportunity and expects to pursue that market on a targeted basis. HealthSpring will play a role in positioning CIGNA to deliver the clinical quality and cost outcomes for that population.
Plans may include bidding with existing Medicaid contractors on a partnership basis. CIGNA also plans to pursue business on its own. The insurer just signed a contract to provide services to about 30,000 dual eligibles in Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
CIGNA is expanding its participation in accountable care organizations. It has 17 of these initiatives underway in 15 states.
In 2011 Human created a partnership and completed an acquisition that positions the insurer to use technology to develop rewards and incentives to foster behavior changes in its members. HumanaVitality, a partnership with Discovery Holdings Ltd. in South Africa, is an actuary-driven wellness and loyalty program that can be customized to individual needs.
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- Dental Board Case Before SCOTUS Has Far-Reaching Implications
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- Abington Health, Jefferson Health Plan '100% Equal' Merger
- 76% of Physicians Don't Like CMS Quality Reporting Programs
- The Case for Recycling Surgical Supplies
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- Aetna Cuts 4 New Accountable Care Deals