4 Big Ideas from AHIP 2012
While the ACA was definitely the elephant in the room throughout AHIP, there was also the sense that no matter what the Supreme Court outcome, the delivery of healthcare has forever changed. Attendees and presenters at the conference frequently credited healthcare reform with accelerating conversations that the healthcare industry should have been having years, and maybe even decades, ago.
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
The Promise of Healthcare Analytics
Healthcare is rich in data. Yet healthcare lags in using data analytics to learn about the people it serves and to improve its operations and bottom line. Leaders are overcoming structural and cultural hurdles to involve many end users—executives, managers, and clinicians—as well as analysts.
AHIP featured three days of workshops, networking breakfasts, and more than 30 sessions devoted to the intricacies of the healthcare industry. Along the way, attendees were treated to presentations by Paul Begala, Deepak Chopra, Atul Gawande, Malcolm Gladwell, and Ari Fleischer.
For those of you who weren't lucky enough to be there, here is my impression of some of the big ideas presented at AHIP 2012:
Consumer engagement (Part 1). You know an idea is big when every tech vendor has a product that addresses it. The buzz is that the consumer experience with health plans and providers needs to improve. It starts with enrollment, extends to outreach and educational efforts, and ends with brand loyalty. In between, there are all types of vendor products that can help health plans get closer to the members they love to hate—the individuals.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers