Health Plans Share Their Roadmaps to HIX
In addition, Aetna expects to participate in up to 15 private exchanges in 2014. The private exchanges will offer Aetna more freedom than the public exchanges in defining how it participates and the products it offers.
Aetna's acquisition of Coventry Health Care, which was completed during the second quarter, is part of its strategy to enhance its opportunities in the Medicare Advantage and Medicaid markets. While both markets are expected to grow, pricing pressures in Medicare Advantage will slow that growth compared to recent years.
Cigna expects to have about $1 billion in free cash flow to spend on strategic investments, including technology and merger and acquisition opportunities. CEO David Cordani says the insurer is looking at M&As to "further expansion of our senior footprint" as well as in the Medicare/Medicaid dual-eligibles marketplace. It is also looking at opportunities in its individual or retail-based portfolio of capabilities.
The insurer expects to participate in a variety of public and private health insurance exchanges. Private exchanges offer an opportunity to focus products on the retail purchasing experience for individual employees or customers, as well as to encourage the adoption of engagement, incentive-based programs. It plans to roll out in 2014 a proprietary exchange.
Cigna's collaborative accountable care program, an insurer/physician partnership that includes clinical support and data to enable physicians to add value to the care they provide, now has more than one million members. The insurer reports that it is seeing improvements in medical costs and care quality, which exceed the market averages.
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Docs Fret as HHS Addresses Malpractice Reporting 'Loopholes'