Aetna Targets Readmissions With Pharmacy Pilot
Here is how the program will work: Aetna case managers will identify the members considered to be at high risk or moderate risk for hospital readmission within 30 days of discharge. Within two days of discharge, the high-risk members will be contacted by a Dovetail pharmacist to schedule an in-home medication review. The moderate-risk members will be monitored by telephone contact with a CVS Caremark pharmacist.
"Many patients who are newly discharged from a hospital or rehab facility are taking multiple medications. Trying to navigate multiple treatment guidelines provided by the patient's primary care physician and the treatment facility discharge team can be overwhelming," Troyen A. Brennan, M.D., M.P.H., executive vice president and chief medical officer for CVS Caremark said in a press statement.
"Our research shows that the intervention of a clinical pharmacist helps patients better understand their medications and avoid potential setbacks to recovery after returning home."
The focus will be to educate members about their medications and the importance of following physician prescription directions. The reviews will cover all medications prescribed for the member to identify any potential problems with the medication mix that could put the patient at-risk for adverse reactions.
Pharmacists will work with members, their physicians, and case managers to identify gaps in care and to develop and implement a detailed healthcare plan, including physician follow-up visits.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic