HIX Fate Tied to Payers' Education Initiatives
Humana Finds Local Outreach Partners
Roy Beveridge, MD, Humana's chief medical officer, told me last week that the company is engaged in a nationwide educational effort to boost enrollment in its exchange-based insurance policies. "Humana has committed to providing health reform education for Humana members and non-members alike through the development of strategic partnerships that work to eliminate confusion and provide people with the information they need to make informed, individualized decisions," Beveridge wrote in an email. "Our goal is to make health care easy, so we're going out to communities and giving people the tools and education they need to understand their healthcare options."
Humana's educational partners include CVS Caremark and the YMCA.
"The opportunity is to provide coverage to people who didn't have it before," John Montgomery, MD, Humana's chief medical officer in Florida, told me recently. "A lot of people don't know: don't know what to do; don't know what benefits are available."
Montgomery says CVS Caremark and the YMCA are natural outreach partners for Humana in Florida. "Where the YMCA sites are mirrors our market," he said. "Those partnerships give us opportunities to educate people about health insurance."
In Mississippi, Humana is orchestrating a 36-county push to educate residents about the new public exchange, according to Stacey Carter, who is leading the company's Mississippi Education Initiative. "A lot of people feel the ACA is for the less fortunate," Carter told me last week. "We are trying to get people the numbers for who can benefit from the ACA, and there are a lot of people who can benefit."
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers