Behind Retailers' Healthcare Strategies, Operational Know-How
It is much more complex than that. What we are really trying to do is figure out where you can put together these smart care teams.
Kauffman: We think about it as the formation of multiple delivery systems as opposed to the replacement of the traditional monolithic structure. But it's always going to be situational. We aren't going to have cardiologists in the retail setting, but as innovation continues to happen where diseases can be more easily managed because of technology and advances in medicine and treatment, it opens up the door for alternative channels to provide that type of support where it doesn't have to be done in the more expensive hospital setting.
That is what we are saying. Who knows if it will be two or three or four different types of delivery options, but there are multiple ones out there now that are being experimented on and it really comes down to figuring out how to navigate.
HLM: Can traditional providers compete with retailers, or will they pursue alliances?
Kauffman: There is some overlap in services. You think about retail clinic setting versus an urgent care setting versus the traditional hospital setting. And then home healthcare and telemedicine are another decision point that consumers need to make.
Partnerships are going to be really important because of this overlap and because of the risk of this decentralization of healthcare confusing consumers even more around 'what do I do and when do I go to a retail clinic versus urgent care or when do I stay home and call somebody?'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- TJC Warns Hospitals of Deadly Medical Tubing Mistakes
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity