Healthcare Unions Steam Ahead in 2009
Remember that these successful organizing elections have occurred before the labor-friendly Obama Administration and a Democratic Congress have moved on the Employee Free Choice Act. Trivisonno says that bill, regarded by many to be the most important pro-labor legislation in 50 years, will greatly enhance union membership, and is further evidence that the pendulum is swinging labor's way.
"It makes you wonder, if they win 75% of the elections, why do they need EFCA?" he says.
There is no one-size-fits-all reason why one hospital is targeted by unions, and another hospital isn't.
"There are various levels of vulnerability. I don't know there is a single vulnerability because there is a whole host of ways unions can approach an employer and leverage those vulnerabilities," Trivisonno says. "Generally, when there is a well-run organization and the culture is enlightened and more fully developed with communication and engagement with workers, those create a firewall that hospitals can build upon."
(The Semi-Annual Labor Activity in Health Care Report is available for ASHRRA members, or can be purchased at www.ashhra.org.)
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media HR, a free weekly e-newsletter that provides up-to-date information on effective HR strategies, recruitment and compensation, physician staffing, and ongoing organizational development.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'