Hospital Layoffs Creep Back into the Headlines
These layoffs should be put in their proper context. While certainly painful for the people who lose their jobs, the healthcare sector remains one of the most vibrant job growth areas of the economy. Hospitals created 33,400 new jobs in 2009, and skilled clinicians are still in high demand in most areas of the nation.
The overall healthcare sector—which includes everything from hospitals to outpatient surgery centers to podiatrists' offices—has created 631,000 jobs since the recession began in December 2007. In that same time frame, the number of jobless people in the nation has risen from 7.7 million to 15.3 million, BLS figures showed.
Cherner says he is "still bullish" that hospital hiring in 2010 will be a lot stronger than it was in 2009. "Certainly, once we get some clarity around healthcare reform and people start to make sense of it, that we will see a bit more stability," he says.
Judging by the BLS data, this recession has changed the way that hospitals regard staffing. Because labor costs are the biggest driver in hospital costs, hospitals will contain these costs by continuously examining their staffing needs. Even after the recession, we will continue to see these staffing adjustments–some big, most small—in the months and years ahead. Employees with adaptable skills will transition into new roles within their hospitals. Employees without those skills will be left behind.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media HR, a free weekly e-newsletter that provides up-to-date information on effective HR strategies, recruitment and compensation, physician staffing, and ongoing organizational development.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers