Is Now the Time for a Breakout Quarter in Healthcare Hiring?
"My guess is we will see a lot more action this coming quarter and hopefully it will be positive. The larger elephant in the room is the general economy and who knows what impact that will have," he says.
What about all those "mass layoffs" affecting 50 or more hospital employees that we've been seeing in the first quarter?
"I think people have cut as much as they possibly can, and I can't imagine us continuing to see large-scale layoffs without hospitals closing their doors," Cherner says. "Hopefully, the volumes will pick up and there will be more cash flow and we know that the hiring environment is improving. It's still going to be a difficult year for new grads, but we are hearing anecdotally, from folks that they are planning to hire more new grads this year than they did last year, which is very positive."
Here's my take: I believe the healthcare sector is reacting like every other sector, and every other person. Everybody is waiting to see if the economic recovery is for real, or if there is a double-dip recession lurking out there. We are seeing the same thing with individuals and the housing market. Interest rates are low, there are plenty of houses available going at 20th Century prices. But nobody's buying. That's because we still don't know if housing prices will continue to drop.
We will see a continued upswing in healthcare sector hiring, maybe even a very strong uptick during the current quarter. Yes, there is a lot of anxiety out there, and deservedly so. But the demand for healthcare workers is real, and won't go away—no matter the shape of the economy. Our nation's aging demographics don't lie.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media HR, a free weekly e-newsletter that provides up-to-date information on effective HR strategies, recruitment and compensation, physician staffing, and ongoing organizational development.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers