How to Assess Resident Applicants' Core Competencies
Dig deeper into the ERAS application
The information candidates submit via ERAS contains many clues to their competency skills.
“You can pull things out of ERAS if you just look,” Shuman says.
For example, you can evaluate the candidates’ professionalism by looking at the completeness and quality of their personal statement.
You can also look at research experience listed on the CV as an indication of how well candidates will master practice-based learning and improvement and systems-based practice. The Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE) gives insight into all six of the core competencies, Philp says.
“This is like the 360-degree evaluation of the person before they come for the interview,” Shuman explains. “It doesn’t replace the interviews, but it may help you invite people you really want to meet so you don’t waste an interview slot.”
Score candidates on the competencies
Shuman, Philp, and their radiology coordinator colleagues Dora Thompson at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles and Linda Galante at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit developed a competency score sheet to use when prescreening candidates for interviews or when ranking candidates before submitting the Match list.
“This is something that’s customizable to each program,” Shuman says, adding that programs can place more emphasis on their most desired qualifications.
Program coordinators should work with their program directors to develop a candidate score sheet that factors in the core competencies.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots