Healthcare Created 314K Jobs in 2011
Roederer says TGH has targeted two areas for new jobs. "One has been positions related to the implementation and optimization of our electronic health records. Our IT area has grown substantially to meet that need," he says. "Another area has been in ambulatory services, our primary care centers, and even the employment of physicians."
"It has been reasonably difficult to fill positions but we are getting there," he Roederer explained. "There is substantial competition for primary care physicians and I expect that to be difficult in years to come as hospitals build their primary care networks."
"The IT positions with hospitals, the demand for that specialty and recruiting and retaining those people is going to be even more difficult. They are so specialized and in such high demand. We are finding that already," he said.
Murphy says the search for clinicians with IT competency will remain a challenge in 2012, especially with the coming of meaningful use requirements, and the upgraded ICD-10 medical coding.
"The IT department is always in search of the person who has the combination of clinical and IT skills with all that is going on with healthcare reform," she says. "That has been a focus for us over the past year: to recruit clinical people internally if they are interested in IT, and externally the people who have that magical combination of a clinical background with IT expertise."
"They are hard to find, which is why we try to grow our own when we can. For those of us looking outside the people with advanced skills in that area, it's a finite pool and we are competing for the same pool," she said.
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- 3 NC Health Systems Form Shared Services Organization
- Hospital Pharmacies Prep for Drug Takebacks
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- Administration: 7.3M now enrolled in Obamacare