Healthcare Costs Hit Record High, But Growth Rate Slows
The MMI is comprised of five components: physician and other professional services, inpatient facility care costs, outpatient facility care costs, pharmacy, and miscellaneous other.
Among the report findings:
- Physician and other professional services account for 32% or $6,990 of annual healthcare spending. The 5.2% increase from 2012 is attributed to increased utilization and charge increases.
- Inpatient facility care costs account for $6,855, or 31%, of the family's annual healthcare bill. The annual increase was 5%. Although the number of hospital inpatient days actually declined, increased labor costs, increased liability costs, and new technologies all contributed to the increase.
- Outpatient facility care costs are 18% or $4,037 of total annual costs. This category scored a hefty increase, 9.2%, over 2012. That probably reflects increased utilization as inpatient services shift to outpatient facilities.
- Pharmacy costs totaled $3,296 or 15% of the family's healthcare expenditures. The 7.9% increase is in line with 2010 and 2008 increases. A continued shift to generics was offset by increased utilization of high-priced specialty drugs (typically more than $600 for a 30-day supply).
- Miscellaneous other costs such as durable medical equipment, ambulance services, and home health posted a 7% increase to $851.
Citing concerns about how its numbers were used, Milliman no longer includes comparative healthcare data for 14 cities in this report.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services