Healthcare Reform Creates More Slots in the C-Suite
"They are going to be centered around things like patient satisfaction and HCAHPS scores," he says. "For example, these large academic medical centers are grappling with the fact that nobody wants to drive 45 minutes into town, spend 20 minutes parking, go through the maze of hallways and floors when you can be seen in a tertiary or regional type system. They are competing now for that experience."
In addition, these chief experience officers are dealing with healthcare metrics in the age of transparency with the government, the public, and competitors.
"You have this information so readily accessible and so open—at least it will be—as far as what these patients are encountering," Singleton says. "I know we are only at 1% but that is soon going to rise to 3% on readmissions. These are real dollars now. These are potentially tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars that these health systems will face. You not only need an executive in place to manage the process, you also need someone with provider experience, management experience, and infrastructure experience. All of those things."
Right now qualified chief experience officers are at a premium, and Singleton says he doesn't see that changing anytime soon. So, where are these new chief experience officers coming from?
"There is a renaissance of physician leadership we have seen over the last two or three years," Singleton says. "It used to be a small segment of the market with providers that usually came up through academia. They were usually deans and vice chairs and they would go on to manage health systems in some cases. The other cases would be physicians who worked their way up."
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers