Geisinger, AtlantiCare Enter 'Integration' Talks
AtlantiCare is the 2009 winner of the prestigious Malcolm Baldrige Award, and its flagship AtlantiCare Regional Medical center was designated as a Magnet hospital in 2004 and re-designated in 2008. The system includes AtlantiCare Solutions, the AtlantiCare Foundation, the AtlantiCare Physician Group and AtlantiCare Regional Health Services, with more than 5,461employees and 600 physicians serve Southeastern New Jersey in nearly 70 locations.
Geisinger CFO Kevin Brennan says "the optimal outcome would be a complete integration of both companies into a system." He rejected any suggestions that there was a "weak sister" in the proposal.
A Unified Objective
"We are both in pursuit of the same objective, which is to improve the health of our communities," he says. "Of course we are a lot larger and we own a health plan and we have a lot of national accolades for the type of advances we have been able to accomplish in population health management. But both of us are financially strong. They're A-rated and we are AA-rated, which is why we would be interested in going outside of our more traditional service area. So there is no weak sister."
Tilton says AtlantiCare "has never been stronger" as it enters the merger talks.
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- In Lakeport, CA, a Population Health Laboratory is Born
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Slideshow: Healthcare Executives Eye Efficiency
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Upfront costs of going digital overwhelm some doctors
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs