Healthcare Unions Eye Gains in 2014
IRI's 2013 Labor Activity Report for ASHHRA found that:
- 36% of this year's survey participants reported having unionized employees. That's a 6% increase from the 2012 survey. Healthcare service workers and other non-professionals and nurses are the most commonly targeted employees.
- Unions' success in organizing healthcare continued with more than 68% of representation elections resulting in union recognition in the first six months of 2013.
- The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) won 55% of its representation elections in healthcare in the first six months of 2013. The union was involved in more elections than any other union, accounting for more than 40% of all representation elections held in healthcare in the first six months of 2013.
- The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) won 57% of its elections in healthcare in the first six months of 2013.
- National Nurses United (NNU), which won 100% of its elections in the first six months of 2012, had limited election activity in the first six months of 2013. However, the union continues to grow through organizing and acquisitions of other nurse unions, and continues to push an active legislative agenda in many states and Washington, D.C.
- The states with the highest number of representation elections filed to represent healthcare employees were (in order): Pennsylvania, California, New York, New Jersey and Ohio.
Trivisonno says the makeup of the five-member National Labor Relations Board and its advisory staff under President Barak Obama is also sharply pro-labor, and could provide favorable rulings that will make it easier to organize.
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Two-Midnight Rule Will Cost Hospitals Big
- The Hospital of the Future is Not a Hospital
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble