ACPE Launches School for CMOs
"There continue to be forces in healthcare, working toward better efficiency, safety, quality, and shifting to value, and with that there's an inherent expectation from non-clinical administrators that somehow or other the physician workforce will be able to tackle those things and make them work better, " Angood says.
"Unfortunately, the measurement and public reporting strategies aren't as mature as they could be, so it's important to have a well-respected clinical leader to champion these types of initiatives. They need to get the culture shift, the buy-in, and thus the improvements within the medical staff. "
For example, a well-trained CMO should be skilled in guiding physicians in private clinical practice from thinking about their patients one-on-one, as they see them in clinical settings, and instead in the broader context of population health.
"Take diabetes, " Angood says. "When you have well-organized CMOs, they are overseeing the implementation and utilization of practice guidelines around diabetes care. And then you see improvements in patient care, efficiencies improve and finances improve for most of our organizations. "
The CMO Academy is sponsored jointly with TJC because the Commission also "recognizes the importance of having physician engagement in order to create organizational change, " Angood says. "This is not just about getting better with accreditation reviews; this is actually about creating change in healthcare, and transforming how healthcare is delivered with the role of the CMO being there. "
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up
- HL20: Derek Angus, MD—An Intense Focus on Care
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014