Patient-Friendly ER Lobby Designed to Reduce Stress
Westcott says the philosophy of Adventist Health is based on whole-person care that includes caring for the patient's mind, body, and spirit. Although a person who arrives in the ED is typically filled with anxiety and fear, Adventist Health designed the new ED lobby so that a sense of calm and tranquility can be fostered the moment they walk through the doors.
As a result, it reduces further risks of stress and enhances safety, Westcott says.
"Our calming palate of colors, strategically designed fireplace, carefully chosen artwork, and comfortable furniture were selected for much more than an aesthetic purpose—these choices were made with the patient in mind," Wescott says. "This attention to detail is prevalent throughout the new pavilion, which also houses the Northwest Cardiology Center and expanded oncology services."
The nonprofit, 302-bed Adventist Medical Center serves the Greater Portland and Vancouver, WA, metropolitan area. Its emergency room treated more than 46,000 patients in 2009.
The opening of the emergency department lobby was one of Adventist's three-phase expansion. The first phase was a new 181,000 square foot medical pavilion that opened in May, which increased AMC's emergency department capacity by 33% and unveiled its Northwest Regional Heart Center. The other phase of the project expanded the hospital's emergency department to 32 beds.
Ben Cole is an associate online editor with HealthLeaders Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big