Healthcare Philanthropy: It's Your Job
Still, that's not all of it. I'd also speculate that healthcare giving is down because of the relentless villainization of the current healthcare system, politically. Compared to insurers, hospitals have largely been left out of the political blame game for annual healthcare price increases that routinely double the rate of inflation, but they haven't escaped unscathed. Hospitals generally have been called out for inefficient practices and for focusing on the wrong goals during the national healthcare debate we've been having now for the better part of two years.
Further, members of the general public have a tendency to lump all of "healthcare" together in the same way that "the banks" or "irresponsible borrowers" are blamed for the recession. Health insurance costs so much because of the greedy doctors, hospitals, and insurers, or so that line of unsophisticated thinking goes.
Whatever the reasons, the downturn in charitable giving for nonprofit healthcare institutions is alarming.
"This downward trend is a very serious problem in the U.S." said Gregory Pope in the AHP statement announcing the decline. The chair of the AHP board and vice president of philanthropy for Saint Thomas Health Services Foundation here in Nashville, says the downturn "comes just as some in Congress want to make it difficult for taxpayers to earn deductions for their donations, and as healthcare reform puts new pressure on nonprofit hospitals to serve more patients."
Are you listening CEOs? That's the message you need to get out there. Regardless of whether you think healthcare reform legislation is long overdue or a giant boondoggle, it's going to put a dent in your revenues over time, and you need potential donors to understand that.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big