McKesson to Acquire U.S. Oncology for $2.1B
The combined McKesson Specialty Care Solutions business will be led by Bruce Broussard, Chairman/CEO of US Oncology, and will be headquartered in The Woodlands, with operations in San Francisco and throughout the country. Broussard will report to Paul Julian, executive vice president and group president, McKesson Corp. McKesson will continue to operate the United Network of US Oncology, including US Oncology’s Comprehensive Strategic Alliance, US Oncology Research, and other services under the US Oncology brand name.
"With the healthcare marketplace moving rapidly toward reimbursement based on quality and cost-effectiveness, our physician customers need access to deep clinical, operational and information technology capabilities to create integrated networks that continually enhance the quality of care in a cost-efficient manner," Broussard said. "In joining McKesson, we are building the scale and expertise necessary to empower our customer base to shape the future of healthcare."
Serving about 3,000 physician customers, the unified company is expected to accelerate investments in integrated systems that improve processes and outcomes for the delivery of more efficient care.
"The addition of US Oncology’s physician-centric business model and clinical expertise to the McKesson portfolio advances our strategy and significantly strengthens our offering for community oncology and other partners in the specialty segment," Julian said. "McKesson and US Oncology's businesses are highly complementary, providing our collective customers access to more services and solutions that will enhance their ability to deliver advanced cancer care."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 3 Favorite Nursing Trends of 2013
- Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
- ICD-10: Minimizing the Financial Hit
- How One Provider is Saving Millions on Imaging Equipment
- HIT in 2014: Portal Perils and Half-Built Houses
- Intelligence Report: Cost-Containment Expertise
- SGR Repeal Bill Holds Extra Promise for Rural Hospitals
- HL20: Martin Makary, MD—Pushing to Improve Transparency and Quality Standards
- SLIDESHOW: HL20 — 20 People Who Are Making a Difference in Healthcare - 2013
- State Health Disparities Trace Medicaid Expansion