Top 10 HealthLeaders News Stories of 2010
HealthLeaders Media Staff, November 22, 2010
- Linking Medical Errors, Nurses' 12-Hour Shifts
Rebecca Hendren, for HealthLeaders Media, October 5, 2010
Studies have linked nurse fatigue with medical errors, poor quality care, stress, and burnout. There are many reasons for nurse fatigue, but one stands out as pretty easy to fix: shift length. Senior leadership should embrace these creative staffing and scheduling options to increase nurse satisfaction and improve efficiency.
- Will Latest Medicare Advantage Cuts Kill the Program?
Joe Cantlupe, for HealthLeaders Media, March 23, 2010
President Obama has described Medicare Advantage as a "waste," and Congress has agreed, proposing $132 billion worth of cuts to the program over 10 years in the health reform package. Under the Medicare Advantage cuts planned in reform, the first payment cuts would occur in 2011. Health insurer CEOs are advised to begin now to absorb reduced payments.
- Healthcare Reform Provisions Kick in Over 10 Years
Janice Simmons, for HealthLeaders Media, March 23, 2010
This timeline details provisions of the healthcare reform law and shows how they will roll out gradually between now and 2020.
- Seven Hospitals Fined for Immediate Jeopardy Mistakes
Cheryl Clark, for HealthLeaders Media, April 14, 2010
In April, California health officials imposed "Immediate Jeopardy" fines totaling $475,000 on seven California hospitals they said harmed patients or placed them at risk of harm because of avoidable mistakes in delivery of care. In November, the state announced 14 penalties for a dozen hospitals. Violations included failing to remove surgical sponges, metal retractors, drill bits, guide wires and a towel.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results