How to Achieve Physician Practice Integration
We dove into that topic recently at a HealthLeaders Media Roundtable that I hosted here in Nashville. While no one had the absolutely foolproof recipe for attaining integration and accountability, they all have a lot of experience doing so, and it would behoove many leaders at hospitals and health systems that are neck deep in physician acquisition to listen to what they have to say.
- "Health systems are approaching employment of physicians from a healthy level of conservatism."—Mike Murphy, Trinity Health
- "Physicians feel like they have to be aligned with somebody. We're seeing that on the primary care side, but cardiology is probably the most impacted product line right now. Orthopedics is also heading in that direction. But alignment is what begins to create the desired effect, which is efficient care, better-quality care, and cost savings. When you get that alignment, it's amazing what can happen from a care standpoint."—Kent Wallace, Vanguard Health Systems
WEBCAST: Cultivating Physician-Hospital Alignment in the ACO Era
When: July 20, 2011
Register today for this live event and webcast
- The quality of care that's delivered is inversely proportional to the number of specialists per population. It's directly proportional to the number of primary care physicians per population. If you look at the procedure volumes and hospitalizations per thousand, you require far greater primary and extender populations than you do specialty.—Steve Moore, Catholic Health Initiatives
There's plenty more advice on one of the toughest challenges facing hospitals and health systems as they try to integrate lines of business that have long operated in silos. Check it out in this free report.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Anne Wojcicki—Unlocking Consumer Access to Genetics
- Narrow Networks Enjoying a Resurgence