Book Excerpt: Complete Guide to Physician Relationships
Remember that the survey was implemented to expose communications, so as we discuss operational challenges or business structures, the intent is not to build out the method, only to define and then detail what they want to hear—with a little bit of when and how.
Where the medical staff wants support from hospital leaders
The survey respondents can be grouped almost equally into two categories:
- Those who want healthcare leaders focused on care delivery
- Those who desire attention on the business relationships
Twenty-five percent of respondents say quality is the most important obligation of leadership over the next three years. This would indicate that doctors are listening to health reform messages on the topic of quality and collaboration, as well as having a strong desire to provide good care to their patients.
An additional 13% felt that the leaders’ most important role was to improve physician involvement and collaboration. Another category that emerged as a priority under the umbrella of hospital operations was the need to make it easier to practice at the facility, which scored 10%. In total, 48% responded that the focus should be on the care delivery side of the equation.
None of the collaborative business/practice strategies scored very high as a standalone, but when grouped together, 36% of the respondents say these strategies are their single choice for hospital leadership’s support of the medical staff. It included a small number (6%) who want increased employment, almost 18% of physicians who want practice support, 8% who desire partnerships without employment, and 4% who cited more aggressive business development.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch