MedCath to Sell AZ Hospital for $31M
Hualapai Mountain Medical Center has struggled to find its market in Kingman. Taylor said it operated on a 15 to 20 patient per day census. The local economy has been troubled and access to the facility has been limited because a planned interstate ramp project was cancelled.
The sale continues the dissolution process that Charlotte-based MedCath began in May 2010. In its heyday, MedCath had ownership interests in 13 hospitals in nine states, 27 cardiac diagnostic and therapeutic facilities in 12 states, and a rental fleet of mobile and modular cardiac cath labs.
With the expected sale of Hualapai Mountain Medical Center only three hospitals remain in the MedCath fold: Bakersfield Heart Hospital in California, Harlingen Medical Center in Texas, and Louisiana Medical Center and Heart Hospital in Lacombe.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- Hospital CEO Turnover Hits Record High
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- Rules to Rein in HIX Narrow Networks Could Drive Away Payers
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers