MedCath to Sell AZ Hospital for $31M
Hualapai Mountain Medical Center has struggled to find its market in Kingman. Taylor said it operated on a 15 to 20 patient per day census. The local economy has been troubled and access to the facility has been limited because a planned interstate ramp project was cancelled.
The sale continues the dissolution process that Charlotte-based MedCath began in May 2010. In its heyday, MedCath had ownership interests in 13 hospitals in nine states, 27 cardiac diagnostic and therapeutic facilities in 12 states, and a rental fleet of mobile and modular cardiac cath labs.
With the expected sale of Hualapai Mountain Medical Center only three hospitals remain in the MedCath fold: Bakersfield Heart Hospital in California, Harlingen Medical Center in Texas, and Louisiana Medical Center and Heart Hospital in Lacombe.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay
- In Lakeport, CA, a Population Health Laboratory is Born
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health