MedCath to Sell AZ Hospital for $31M
Hualapai Mountain Medical Center has struggled to find its market in Kingman. Taylor said it operated on a 15 to 20 patient per day census. The local economy has been troubled and access to the facility has been limited because a planned interstate ramp project was cancelled.
The sale continues the dissolution process that Charlotte-based MedCath began in May 2010. In its heyday, MedCath had ownership interests in 13 hospitals in nine states, 27 cardiac diagnostic and therapeutic facilities in 12 states, and a rental fleet of mobile and modular cardiac cath labs.
With the expected sale of Hualapai Mountain Medical Center only three hospitals remain in the MedCath fold: Bakersfield Heart Hospital in California, Harlingen Medical Center in Texas, and Louisiana Medical Center and Heart Hospital in Lacombe.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- The case for concierge medicine
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure