Online, Wireless Patient Apps Save Time, Money
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Conifer has also rolled out eSignature wireless tablets that give patients the ability to sign all their registration forms electronically when a registration associate visits their inpatient room. On both the kiosks and eSignature tablets, patients can request that their electronically signed forms be printed for their files.
Since implementing kiosks and online self-service applications a little more than a two years ago, the health system estimates that it will save approximately 30 million pieces of paper because it no longer will print copies of privacy notices, Medicare forms, and other documents. This reduction in paper usage will save at least $5 million in paper costs annually.
At the hospital, allowing patients to check in and validate their own information as well as sign forms electronically helps ease the registration process. Patients who have preregistered do not tie up actual registration associates who can then help patients who walk in for unscheduled services; this leads to reduced registration wait and processing times for both scheduled and unscheduled patients.
“The simple elimination of the multiple regulatory forms that must be printed, signed, witnessed, and copied for both the patient and employee for each registration through the use of the kiosk and eSignature tools alone drives higher customer satisfaction,” White says. “As we drive more capabilities through these systems, we anticipate even higher satisfaction with what used to be a very manual and tedious process for patients.”
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 69% of Employers Plan to Offer Healthcare Coverage After 2014
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Q&A: Catholic Health Initiatives' New Senior VP for Capital Finance
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Hospital Pricing Data Dump Won't Hurt You, Yet
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Telemedicine is Retail Health Clinics' Newest Tool