Dispensing Information, Saving Costs
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
“This software tells me whether the patient is outpatient or inpatient and tracks drugs dispensed to them,” he says.
Such changes also allow Carolinas to standardize its contracts with drugmakers and use a single drug formulary. For a system as large as Carolinas, those savings add up to between $500,000 and $900,000 per month.
“This allows us to serve more of the underserved, and in some cases, keep them out of the hospital longer,” Carta says.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges