Dispensing Information, Saving Costs
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
“This software tells me whether the patient is outpatient or inpatient and tracks drugs dispensed to them,” he says.
Such changes also allow Carolinas to standardize its contracts with drugmakers and use a single drug formulary. For a system as large as Carolinas, those savings add up to between $500,000 and $900,000 per month.
“This allows us to serve more of the underserved, and in some cases, keep them out of the hospital longer,” Carta says.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations