Dispensing Information, Saving Costs
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
“This software tells me whether the patient is outpatient or inpatient and tracks drugs dispensed to them,” he says.
Such changes also allow Carolinas to standardize its contracts with drugmakers and use a single drug formulary. For a system as large as Carolinas, those savings add up to between $500,000 and $900,000 per month.
“This allows us to serve more of the underserved, and in some cases, keep them out of the hospital longer,” Carta says.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS to Speak with ICD-10 Backers Tuesday
- Feds Stonewall ICD-10 Summit
- Managed Care Contract Negotiations Morph Under PPACA
- Cyberattack Drill Exposes Healthcare's Vulnerabilities
- NY Abolishes Written Practice Agreement for NPs
- Physician Payment Data is Where the Action Is
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- Why Cedars-Sinai Screens All Inpatient Adults for Depression
- Blum Latest Leader to Exit HHS
- 3 Patient Experience Improvements Every Marketer Can Make