Dispensing Information, Saving Costs
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
“This software tells me whether the patient is outpatient or inpatient and tracks drugs dispensed to them,” he says.
Such changes also allow Carolinas to standardize its contracts with drugmakers and use a single drug formulary. For a system as large as Carolinas, those savings add up to between $500,000 and $900,000 per month.
“This allows us to serve more of the underserved, and in some cases, keep them out of the hospital longer,” Carta says.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery
- Top 3 Health Plan Game Changers of 2013