Dispensing Information, Saving Costs
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
“This software tells me whether the patient is outpatient or inpatient and tracks drugs dispensed to them,” he says.
Such changes also allow Carolinas to standardize its contracts with drugmakers and use a single drug formulary. For a system as large as Carolinas, those savings add up to between $500,000 and $900,000 per month.
“This allows us to serve more of the underserved, and in some cases, keep them out of the hospital longer,” Carta says.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?
- When a hospital closes