Council Connection: The Key Metrics
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
We don’t have all the pieces in place but we are on the right track, focusing on quality and efficiency and effectiveness and the patient experience. We are fortunate to have high patient satisfaction scores. We track weekly all the comments. We use Press Ganey for that. We have our pillars looking at everything from financials to quality, innovation, and growth. The big ancillaries—pharmacy, lab, radiology—also have a piece of the revenue cycle, along with medical records, those sorts of things. So we have quality committees and quality scorecards for all areas.
ACCESS. INSIGHT. ANALYSIS.
Join the HealthLeaders Media Council
Get members-only access to industry-wide intelligence, forecasts, and analysis positions your organization to benchmark against your peers, identify and respond to key trends shaping healthcare, and make sound business decisions.
We have multidisciplinary quality committees, which include physicians and control staff and management. Between the meetings there is a lot of work with subgroups on things like effective utilization, looking at unnecessary scans and things like that. It’s the same thing with lab. We meet with physician leadership in pathology to review what we are doing with efficiencies.
Every department has dashboards, including the lab and radiology and every subdepartment has a dashboard. I am looking at several hundred metrics. Radiology is a huge dashboard because we look at everything from employee satisfaction, patient satisfaction, physician satisfaction, and annual numbers, to wait times, report turnaround times, and complication rates, to make sure we are at or under the benchmark targets.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream