ROUNDS Preview: Driving Clinical Improvement Through Physician Leadership
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
System-level integration is accomplished with a system-level chief medical officer who supervises regional CMOs. The system CMO has an administrative counterpart, a CEO and that dyad structure is replicated throughout the system down to the clinic level. But even a solid reporting structure only creates the platform for physician integration.
"It's easy to hire physicians and pay them," Pryor says. "It's hard to manage physicians. Health systems talk a lot about physician integration. One of the things that they don't talk about is how to put in a system of management that those fiercely autonomous physicians will accept."
That management starts with a multispecialty clinic structure that is approximately 40% primary care and 60% specialty care. Scott & White's five regions are built around the central academic tertiary hub hospital that "holds the 13 hospitals together," Pryor says. Regulations bar the corporate practice of medicine in Texas, so Scott & White's physician board is integrated into system management and makes decisions in all key clinical and operational areas as they affect the group practice, Pryor says.
"They make decisions on hospital operations, physician preference items, computer systems, and evidence-based practices. They're into process redesign. They're in all aspects of hospital and clinic integration. So, it's not like we have a separate management structure for the physicians and a separate one for hospitals."
Integration is not just at the top level, Pryor says. "Even at the smallest clinic that we have with four primary care practitioners, there's a physician leader and an administrative leader in that small clinic."
- Critical Times for Small and Rural Hospitals
- Fees Lurk in Health Plans' Shift to e-Payments
- 4 Hot Healthcare Exec Titles; 1 Not
- 2015 OPPS Proposed Rule Detailed
- Providence, Swedish Health Launch Employer-Driven ACO
- Emergency Surgeries Drop with Insurance Expansion in MA
- Infuriated by MOC Rules, Physicians Unleash on Certification Boards
- MU Slides into Summer of Discontent
- 5 M&A Tips from Finance Executives
- Beaumont Health Clears Key Hurdles in Latest Merger Try