ROI Stories: A Wealth of Information
"Our conversion rates were very easily measured; we worked with [our] ad agency to make sure the calls-to-action went through the call center," Fielding Ellis said.
The organization tracked 86 oncology referrals, 286 MRI appointments, and 200 visits to women's health.
An auspicious beginning
Alicia Argiz-Lyons, corporate director of public relations for Shriners International Headquarters in Tampa, FL, talked about her organization's branding campaign—its first in 87 years. Not a bad beginning: The campaign, which focused on the New England region, won the platinum award in the children's category.
In the first 11 weeks of air time, the campaign generated $8,000 in donations, with an average donation of $65. In the first five weeks that the 60-second TV spot ran, 1,768 calls were generated.
Additionally, inquiries are up, physician referrals are up, and the ads created awareness that led to media exposure and public relations opportunities.
"The increases in awareness were substantial," she said. Locally, awareness and advertising recall increased 17% in Boston and 21% in Springfield, MA.
The moral of this story
Listening to these four speakers, what impressed me most was the diversity of the goals they set for their organizations and the variety of ways they quantified their successes.
Our awards mimic what marketers face in the real world: If you want to get accolades for a marketing campaign, it had better be more than just pretty—it must also be effective. Whether your goal is to get a couple of thousand attendees at an event, increase call volumes, generate more physician referrals, or raise money, you don't get credit for what you don't measure.
A couple more notes: You can get a list of this year's winners online and read more about all of the winning campaign in the 2008 edition of Hospital Campaigns that Work. Finally, audio clips from the marketing awards event will be available soon at our HealthLeaders Media Marketing Awards site.
Gienna Shaw is an editor with HealthLeaders magazine. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media Marketing, a free weekly e-newsletter that will guide you through the complex and constantly-changing field of healthcare marketing.
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Two NY hospitals to offer free hip and knee replacement surgeries for qualifying patients in December
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- Healthcare data of 1 million NJ patients compromised since 2009
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality