Patient Experience: 'The Wisdom is in this Room'
And, by the way, that's only about one-third of the answers to this question.
So what's the takeaway here? It's that sometimes all you have to do to start your organization on the path to an exceptional experience for every patient, every time, at every touch-point is to tap the wisdom in the room—including your executive team, your physicians, your staff, and your patients and their families.
Transforming the patient experience
Adamson and Rhodes, authors of the latest HealthLeaders Media book for marketing and other healthcare leaders, The Complete Guide to Transforming the Patient Experience, contributed much of their own wisdom and experience to the room, as well.
They stressed that creating a better patient experience is not incremental work—it's transformational.
"This is about reminding yourself that we are the leaders that are going to move this forward for your organizations and the industry. We are on the precipice of changing healthcare," Rhodes said. "This is transformation in who we are in the roles we play and also transformational for our patients, because if we can customize and personalize their experience we create something altogether different for them and they can be transformed by that experience."
"Healthcare is going to change whether the leaders want to make that change or not," Adamson said. Baby boomers, in particular, will be the drivers of this change, he added. They'll change healthcare from "impersonal and dehumanizing" by demanding a different kind of experience.
Luckily, you have access to all of the wisdom you need to meet those demands—all you have to do is ask.
Editor's note: You can download a free chapter of The Complete Guide to Transforming the Patient Experience on our Website.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media Marketing, a free weekly e-newsletter that will guide you through the complex and constantly-changing field of healthcare marketing.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots