HFMA: Integration Takes Teamwork, Communication
The first step was getting physicians on board and having them brainstorm ways to cut costs. The progressive steps that took Carle Physician Group, Health Alliance Medical Plans, and the Carle Foundation from separate entities to a single group look like this:
"Our biggest problem was the 'Tower of Babel' of diagnosis," said Bruce Wellman, MD, CEO of Carle Physician Group. "Physicians all had to agree on the same terms. We needed to get them to use a common language."
Wellman explained how the group hired five or six nurse navigators to help streamline the process of care and identify a common language. As a result, the 30-day readmission rate dropped to under 10%.
It's known that a physician-led model performs significantly better than non-physician led models in cost-efficiency, Guest explained. However, she said, "most organizations have not put enough money into physician leadership training in order for them to become sustainable leaders."
In the current financial climate, as many groups may consider becoming an integrated delivery system (IDS), they have to understand the level of effort involved.
Integration does not happen just with a name change, but with a change of leadership, communication, and collaboration. From a marketer's perspective, it's important to keep tabs on the leadership structure to market opportunities for physician leaders to step up and help run an organization.
Questions? Comments? Story ideas? Anna Webster, Online Content Coordinator for HealthLeaders Media, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Anna Webster on Twitter
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots