Best Hospital Websites Put Patients First
What good is a hospital website if it is not geared toward informing patients, visually striking, and easily updated by internal staff? While those three elements may seem basic, many organizations do not have the means, time, or expertise to manage their sites well.
Not too long ago, St. Helena (CA) Hospitals’ website was poorly organized, visually bland, and seldom updated. In 2011 the organization embarked on a lofty redesign project, tearing down its online presence and beginning anew.
Re-focusing on the patient
In late 2010, St. Helena administration was fed up with its current website.
"Our old site was about us," Joshua Cowan, vice president of marketing for Northern California Network of Adventist Health, told Healthcare Marketing Advisor. "It was more hospital-focused than patient-focused, which made it difficult for visitors to navigate and find what they really needed. There was plenty of information about our facility, our history, and our services, but it was organized in a way that made it about us instead of the site visitor."
The site was cumbersome to update and therefore updated infrequently. It lacked a clean presentation. And it was also missing some key elements, such as descriptions of conditions and treatments available, and the physicians who offer them.
Each of those characteristics is critical to a successful hospital website. A frequently updated site can improve search engine optimization and informs patients about the news and events going on at your organization. And including treatment and physician information is a must-have for any hospital site.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers