Cancer Center's 'Gangnam Style' Video Goes Viral
The team knew that the three Olympic gymnasts would be in Charlotte for the taping of Kaleidoscope on Ice, sponsored by Levine Cancer Institute. The video wound up being part of the national television broadcast on CBS. They called it "Gymnamstyle."
"The concept of 'Gymnamstyle' really grew out of the idea that when people are dealing with cancer or are a cancer survivor, sometimes just having a little fun and putting a smile on someone's face can make all the difference in the world," says Amalia Reyes, marketing director for Carolinas HealthCare System. "That is what 'Gymnamstyle' hoped to do—make people smile and have a little fun—to really celebrate survivors."
The video begins with Levine's survivorship director giving the three gymnasts a tour of the facility. "We provide cancer care to patients in both North and South Carolina," she says, walking down a corridor. "You're in one of our treatment centers now, where patients will come for chemotherapy treatments and support services, including social work, nutrition, survivorship programs, and the funny thing is it also came with this..."
Suddenly the surrounding staff members clap their hands and a man dressed as Psy—yellow jumpsuit, black wig and all—appears in a patient room. "Gangnam Style" begins to play and three minutes of dancing commences, featuring Aly, Gabby, and Jordyn, countless staff members, patients, and other community members, such as young gymnasts and a local marching band.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots