5 Social Media Resolutions for Hospitals
Here are five resolutions all hospital marketers should make for the coming year.
1. Tell powerful patient stories
Perhaps the greatest value of social media is the ability to quickly and easily connect with patients. From there, it's up to the marketer to make this connection meaningful.
Often, the best way to accomplish this is by telling meaningful, powerful patient stories. Luckily for us, these stories already exist out there. We just have to find them.
To do this, track any keyword or hashtag that relates to your organization. A third party platform such as HootSuite can facilitate this. If you don't find much, start soliciting patient stories.
From there, you can share them on Facebook, re-tweet them on Twitter, or write up a blog post, which you can then link to on Facebook and Twitter. In some cases, YouTube may be the best storytelling medium.
There are countless ways to share positive patient experiences through social media. And the more often you do it, the easier the process will become.
2. Do something innovative
Another benefit of social media campaigns versus traditional marketing campaigns is that you can afford to take more risks.
If a marketing campaign bombs, you've wasted money on print materials and advertising space. But, in most cases, if a social media campaign misses the mark you're only real cost is the time it took to execute it.
Besides, in social media taking a risk can pay off big.
Here are some ideas to get your gears turning:
- Live-tweet a surgery to highlight a service line
- Experiment with fundraising through Facebook
- Set up a weekly doc Q&A time on Twitter
- Use social media to attract new physicians and staff
- Ask a patient to live-tweet a “day in the life” at your organization
Get creative and see what sticks. As a bonus, local press love to cover innovative hospital social marketing efforts.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?