4 Top Mobile App Types for Healthcare Providers
The barriers to creating mobile app are less daunting than they may seem. Big development budgets are not necessarily a prerequisite. In fact, many hospitals are doing really cool things in the mobile app space, without spending all of their marketing budgets. If you're considering a mobile app for your hospital or health system, take a look at four most prevalent types of apps for these organizations.
General information app
Perhaps the best way to dip your organization's toe in the smartphone app waters is by creating an app with general information and helpful tips about your hospital.
WakeMed Health and Hospitals in Raleigh, SC, does a great job of this with its app, available on iPhone and Android. The app uses the user's geographic location to tell him how to get to the nearest hospital. It also displays ER wait times, includes detailed campus maps, helps patients find doctors, and allows patients to input health and insurance information.
Patient portal app
For the engaged patient on the go, a patient portal app is ideal.
For example, the UPMC Health Plan app allows patients to see view their personal health records, communicate with doctors and pharmacies, access their plan member ID information, and check their FSA balances.
Patient portals that point to personal health information must be able to protect that data. Be sure to apply best practices to ensure your patients' HIPAA rights—and protection your organization.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement