HFMA: Patient Financial Interaction Guidelines Sharpened
Outlined in the new protocols are guidelines for:
- Emergency department interactions. This best practice provides the needed guidelines for dealing with financial interactions with patients who present in the emergency department.
- Time of service (outside the ED) interactions. This set of best practices provides the needed guidelines for handling financial interactions with patients that take place at the time of service, outside the ED.
- Advance of service interactions. This set of best practices provides the needed guidelines for managing the most sensitive financial interactions with patients that take place in advance of service.
- Best practices for all patient financial interactions. This overarching set of best practices provides the needed guidelines to help provider organizations handle the most sensitive financial interactions with patients.
- PFI measurement criteria. These PFI measurement criteria were developed to guide the evaluation of an organization's compliance with the patient financial best practices.
The new practices were created by a steering committee that includes leaders from HFMA, the Patient Advocate Foundation, the American Hospital Association, Harvard Medical School, America's Health Insurance Plans.
Comments on the best practices are being accepted until July 31, and final best practices will be announced in the fall for voluntary adoption by healthcare providers. View the complete list of best practices.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic