How a Good Night's Sleep Can Aid New Graduate Nurse Retention
As Burnette listened to the new grads' fears, she realized this issue was an important part of the transition for new nurses, so she started offering strategies to help them sleep better. She also began measuring their perception of sleep and how it relates to performance. She soon realized there was an opportunity to make the program more structured and provide more benefits to nurses.
Burnette worked with new graduates and leadership to design a program, researching sleep literature—utilizing the National Sleep Foundation as her educational model—best practices, and even consulting the organization's sleep lab for ideas. The result was a formal class offered as part of the new nurse graduate program.
Burnette delivers a PowerPoint presentation that explains why sleep is important and the effect it has if nurses do not receive sufficient restorative sleep. Each new grad receives a sleep kit that contains ear plugs (which block out up to 31 decibels) and an eye mask, which nurses have reported have improved their sleep tremendously.
Burnette ensures her program helps new grads and tracks the results over time by having new grads take an online Pulse Check survey, which measures key areas of practice. This survey includes two metrics that examine the effect of night shift on nurses, asks about their perception of sleep and performance, and also tracks the data over time.
She is continuing to examine the effect of night shift on nurses, their perception of their sleep, and how it relates to performance. The ongoing data should be most revealing, but Burnette already has enough anecdotal data to demonstrate her course improves quality of life for her new nurse graduates.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media NursingLeaders, a free weekly e-newsletter that offers concise updates on the top nursing leadership headlines of the week from top news sources.
Rebecca Hendren is a senior managing editor at HCPro, Inc. in Danvers, MA. She edits www.StrategiesForNurseManagers.com and manages The Leaders' Lounge blog for nurse managers. Email her at email@example.com.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised