Nursing, Geriatric Programs to Get $159 Million from HHS
The awardees are schools of allopathic medicine, osteopathic medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and allied health (including designated Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs); graduate programs in behavioral health; and other public and nonprofit health or educational organizations.
The largest single grants are those awarded for Centers of Excellence. They include:
- Howard University, Washington, DC, $1,044,939
- University of Hawaii, Honolulu, $1,096,079
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, $2,771,566
Another of the large grants was awarded to Boston Medical Center, $1,091,985 for geriatric care training for physicians.
The specific grants, made possible under provisions of the recently passed Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, are listed here.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?
- Hospitals and doctors fail patients by passing the buck on insurance rules