How to Get Nurses on Board the EHR Train
1.Get nurses involved in the EHR selection process
First, it is important for organizations to select a system that is intuitive, matches the ED workflow, and enables nurses to deliver care more efficiently and effectively. All systems are not alike and the system selected can greatly impact nursing workflow and job satisfaction. Wisely, Saint Barnabas made sure nurses were strongly represented on the committees that evaluated EHRs for Union and Newark Beth Israel.
The committees at both hospitals selected an EHR that is specifically designed for emergency departments, EDIMS. At Newark Beth Israel, EDIMS proved to be so easy to use that ED nurses successfully lobbied nursing directors and hospital management to upgrade the system, which was initially implemented in 2006. In November 2009, the facility installed the latest version of the software, which is interfaced with the inpatient EHR. Union Hospital deployed its EHR in 2004
2). Show value to nurses early on
When Saint Barnabas automates a hospital, it starts the project in the ED because it believes the best and fastest way to win over employees is to prove the value of an EHR in a demanding and complex environment.
By streamlining access to information, offering decision support as well as enhancing efficiency and coordination in the ED—which historically has the highest volume and treats the most seriously ill patients—the health system can quickly show the usefulness of the EHR. Once nurses see the positive impact the technology has on productivity, as well as on quality, safety and efficiency of care, they not only embrace the system but also promote it to ED colleagues within and across other hospitals.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability