Nurse Advocate Exhibits Nursing Images at U.S. Capitol
I hope people take the time to view the photos, question Bartholomew, and learn more about the role of nurses in healthcare delivery, particularly as discussions about healthcare reform reheat.
For the most part, the public doesn’t have an accurate view of what nursing involves. In the media, nurses are usually depicted as angels of mercy, or as mute handmaidens to physicians, rather than as well-educated partners in patient care and healthcare delivery.
As more emphasis is placed on patient experience and ensuring these patients report high customer satisfaction scores, it becomes ever more important that patients understand the role of the nursing professionals who care for them. This responsibility will fall largely on your nurses and nurse managers, who will be asked to explain the important role of nursing in your organization.
On each nursing unit, showcase nursing research projects, advanced degree completion, or specialty certifications earned. On a patient-by-patient basis, nurses and all caregivers must explain their role. When lying in a hospital bed, after all, it’s hard to differentiate providers’ roles when everyone wears scrubs.
We may not all have as visible a platform as the rotunda of the Senate Office Building to explain the value of nursing, but we all have our spheres of influence in our daily lives. We can all do our part to educate others about the real nature of nursing work and the importance of devoting time and resources to ensure nurses can focus on providing the high-quality patient care they want to provide to each and every patient.
Rebecca Hendren is a senior managing editor at HCPro, Inc. in Danvers, MA. She edits www.StrategiesForNurseManagers.com and manages The Leaders' Lounge blog for nurse managers. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- 69% of Employers Plan to Offer Healthcare Coverage After 2014
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Q&A: Catholic Health Initiatives' New Senior VP for Capital Finance
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Hospital Pricing Data Dump Won't Hurt You, Yet
- Telemedicine is Retail Health Clinics' Newest Tool