AMA Issues 5 Patient Safety Guidelines
"Inpatient teams face important limitations in ensuring safe transitions to ambulatory settings," the report continues. "Given the great variability of inpatient and ambulatory care team resources and capabilities, there can be no 'one-size fits all' model for safe care transitions; but certain tasks during care transitions are probably best carried out by members of the ambulatory rather than the inpatient care team, since the ambulatory practice will be responsible for providing ongoing care to the patient in the ambulatory setting."
The five responsibilities outlined in the report include:
- Assessment of the patient's health;
- Goal-setting to determine desired outcomes;
- Supporting self-management to ensure access to resources the patient may need;
- Medication management to oversee needed prescriptions;
- Care coordination to bring together all members of the health care team.
The report was issued this month shortly after Medicare announced that it will accept the newly created Current Procedural Terminology codes for care coordination to pay physicians for the management of patients who have recently been discharged from a hospital or skilled nursing facility, the AMA said.
The AMA's CPT Editorial Panel built the codes to catalog care management services, including time spent talking about a care plan, connecting patients to community services, transitioning them from inpatient settings and preventing readmissions.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q