Revamp Nurse Staffing Policies and Cut Costs
It's also allowed managers to see other, smaller things, such as which nurses are regularly punching in a little early and out a little late.
Jolene Goedken, senior vice president and CNO at Mercy Health System, says making sure nurses work a full workweek means "you don't have the reliance on needing to fill those hours with other contingency resources."
"Any time you're using contingency resources," she says, "that's where you start to get some of the premium costs associated with that."
Yet identifying the problem is only half the battle. Wesley says making sure nurses work when they're supposed to be working has required more than simply knowing who was working when. Part of improving scheduling at WellStar involved doing a complete review—and in some cases, revamp—of hospital policies related to staffing, scheduling, and attendance.
Some policy changes were simple. For example, the review revealed a wide variation in starting and end times for staff nurse shifts within the five-hospital WellStar system. Sometimes the differences were between different facilities, but some were actually between units at same facility.
"If we want to utilize resources more effectively… we really need standardized shift start and end times," Wesley says. WellStar also made policies about punching in and out of shifts on time more explicit; when hundreds of nurses do that every day, the costs associated with it really add up.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- New G-Code to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments