Data Collaborative Taps Predictive Analytics to Coordinate Care
It seeks to solve long-term challenges in healthcare, such as preventable readmissions and pharmacy compliance, as a launching point to redesign clinical care so that it is more cost-effective and patient-centric. In other words, the alliance seeks to put some meat on the bones of what's called population health.
Through other previous work together, "we realized the supporting data infrastructure for coordinated care was integral piece of the puzzle," says Sean Cassidy, Premier's vice president and general manager of the Premier Data Alliance. "We had massive problems with our infrastructure."
Quietly testing its modules and recruiting participants for the past 18 months, the collaborative now boasts nearly 100 hospitals and more than 1,600 non-acute sites that care for 28 million people. The widely disparate geographical reach of the four founding organizations, as well as their ability to invest in so-called "big data," attempts to leverage four different budgets to create a data analytics package that can be used by all collaborators. Other partners are expected to come aboard within the next six months.
"Two of us were Pioneer ACOs, so the notion of improving required us to think about how we would achieve that capability when we knew we didn't have the capital alone," says Terry Carroll, chair of the collaborative and senior VP and chief information officer at Fairview Health Services in Minneapolis."
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised