Four Reasons for Optimism About the Future of Healthcare
There are other positive signs in the reform legislation: Primary care payment increases are being proposed, as are incentives for advanced medical homes and other projects that reward coordination and quality. Progress is being made outside of Washington, as well. Private payers are taking initiative with payment demonstration projects, and pay-for-performance programs are slowly moving beyond merely paying for reporting.
4. Leadership makes a difference. Today and tomorrow I'll be in Chicago with some of my HealthLeaders Media colleagues who are presenting this year's Top Leadership Teams in Healthcare awards. Winners come from a wide range of settings—from large hospitals to medical groups—but each demonstrates that the obstacles of today's healthcare system can be overcome.
There is a lot of defeatism about the healthcare environment, but providers' fates are still largely in their own hands.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media PhysicianLeaders, a free weekly e-newsletter that features the top physician business headlines of the week from leading news sources.
Elyas Bakhtiari is a freelance editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- 3 NC Health Systems Form Shared Services Organization
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Hospital Pharmacies Prep for Drug Takebacks
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- When a hospital closes