AHRQ Provides Guidance on Collecting Quality, Patient Safety Information
Version 1.1 of the Common Formats is available only for acute care facilities, although there are versions in development for other settings. There are both generic and event-specific formats. The event specific formats include blood or blood product, device or medical/surgical supply, falls, healthcare-associated infection, medication or other substance, perinatal, pressure ulcer, and surgery or anesthesia.
Version 1.1 contains:
- Descriptions of patient safety events and unsafe conditions to be reported
- Specifications for patient safety aggregate reports and individual event summaries
- Delineation of data elements to be collected for different types of events
- A users guide
- Technical specifications for collection and reporting of electronic data
In addition to offering guidance for electronically reporting the data, the technical specifications offer guidance, including flow charts, a data dictionary, and clinical documentation architecture guideline.
Heather Comak is a Managing Editor at HCPro, Inc., where she is the editor of the monthly publication Briefings on Patient Safety, as well as patient safety-related books and audio conferences. She is also is the Assistant Director of the Association for Healthcare Accreditation Professionals. Contact Heather by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How One Health System Saved $3.5M in Benefits Costs
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- 'Leadership Gap' Threatens MU Momentum, Says AMA
- Investing in Population Health Strategies Creates Financial Risk
- Ebola: Lawmakers, Healthcare Leaders Clash Over Quarantines
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD