Independent Physicians' Support Group to Launch in MI
"This concept of the right care, at the right place, and at the right time fits perfectly with our health system's goal of serving the entire state, by being available for any Michigander who needs the advanced care that U-M physicians provide," Hirsch Pescovitz, says.
UMHS includes a 1,600-member multispecialty physician group, with faculty from the U-M Medical School who practice at U-M hospitals and health centers, and at partner locations across the state. POM is the latest in a series of UMHS partnerships, which also includes the Pennant Health Alliance, a recently announced partnership among four western Michigan hospitals and UMHS.
POM members can become a "Colleague in Care," which gives them full access to a clinically integrated network of physicians with EHR, business and marketing support, and systems to track quality. In return, each Colleague in Care agrees to meet standards for ongoing education, care quality tracking and reporting, and other metrics.
"The vision is that POM will offer independent physicians and medical groups access to information technology and administrative and clinical services they need to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing environment without the need for employment by a large system," says David Spahlinger, MD, executive director of the U-M group practice and senior associate dean for clinical affairs at the U-M Medical School.
POM will be based in Grand Rapids.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- Abington Health, Jefferson Health Plan '100% Equal' Merger
- Dental Board Case Before SCOTUS Has Far-Reaching Implications
- How One Health System Saved $3.5M in Benefits Costs
- The Case for Recycling Surgical Supplies
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD
- 76% of Physicians Don't Like CMS Quality Reporting Programs