Baylor Embraces Quality Improvement Initiatives
“It’s about achieving excellence in providing a commitment to the community and environment where we can practice the art of medicine,” he added. “Baylor has been a physician friendly institution, but the dynamics of that relationship has changed dramatically” following the creation of the BHVH, with the “medical staff and working at an equal partnership.”
As Wheelan and other top Baylor officials, Nancy Vish, RN, FACHE, president of BHVH, and Paul Convery, MD, MMM, chief medical officer for the Baylor Health Care System, see it, improving coordination between physicians and administration is a constantly evolving process. Variables within the system run through it, such as medical leadership meetings; the hospital system’s physician leadership councils – responsible for medical staff governance and alignment roles – and other work products, such as a special focus committees, where physicians and administrative staff focus on common goals. In addition, hospital leadership established a physician leadership development program, which includes training for physician “champions” –physicians who are considered high-level doctors in quality and safety specialty core areas.
Indeed, the HealthLeaders Media industry survey shows that physicians nationwide are heralding quality improvement initiatives, with 76% saying they believe such programs will have a positive or strongly positive impact on their organizations. The survey shows that quality and patient safety experience, and developing an accountable care organization are among the top priorities they see over the next year, according to the survey data.
Physicians consider the impact of patient experience and patient-centered care as extremely positive. The survey shows that 60% and 20% respectively, believe such initiatives will have a positive or strongly positive impact on their organizations.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer