15 HCAHPS Buzzwords Every Provider Should Know
We've interviewed a number of HCAHPS experts to get a sense of the lingo they are using as teams gear up to be evaluated. The following is a list of increasingly popular phrases generated by value-based purchasing regulations.
1. Service Recovery Mode
Hospital teams enter this phase of care after something has gone wrong. Call bell wasn't answered? Lab tests came back late? Housekeeping neglected to clean the bathroom?
At some facilities, the recovery effort may mean a visit from the chief nursing officer or even the CEO. At others, it may mean a free coupon for coffee or a magazine at the hospital gift store. For really big hospital mishaps, Service Recovery Mode may involve a significantly greater interventions.
- Hear, which also means don't interrupt the patient as he or she explains what went wrong
- Empathize with the patients' frustrations and say you understand their disappointment and concern
- Apologize for any oversights or mishaps, and
- Take action, explaining to the patient and their family members exactly what your team intends to do to fix the problem and make sure it does not happen again.
A device that may be placed in parts of the hospital, such as around the nurse's station, a yack track resembles a traffic light and indicates when decibel levels have reached an unacceptable level. It may serve as a warning, especially during noisier periods, such as shift change. Hospitals install these in an effort to score better on one of their most challenging HCAHPS metrics, quietness, so patients can rest or sleep.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers