Videos as Instruments of Physician Engagement
"We wanted them to think about it, but not script it out," says Marecki.
Similar to Bayhealth, Tufts Medical Center wanted to increase awareness, stand out in a very competitive market and cluttered media space, and offer consumers the chance to "meet" its physicians.
"We knew that once introduced to the services and physicians at the medical center, patients would be very interested in receiving care here," said Brooke Tyson Hynes, Tufts' vice president of public affairs and communications. "It was a matter of getting our foot in the door with more consumers so they could see the depth and sophistication of our services and the talent and compassion of our physicians."
However, unlike other hospitals that have added videos to their website, the Boston-based medical center built TuftsMedicalCenter.tv, a website that features the expertise of its physicians through videos. "TV gave us an immediate way to connect with patients and easily allowed them to contact us for more information and appointments," explains Hynes.
It includes health channels that offer information about specific diseases and service lines, such as cancer, heart conditions, and pediatric health. With these channels, consumers can learn more about atrial fibrillation, for example, by watching a physician video that explains its symptoms and treatment options.
The website offers videos that debunk common medical myths—for example, cold/wet weather makes you sick, breastfeeding is easy, and you can't have intimate relations after a heart attack. It also provides healthcasts on topics such as enlarged prostate or hip replacement that consumers can listen to live and submit questions by phone or via Twitter; they can also download an on-demand version of the show.
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public