AHA Rejects Proposed Readmission Penalties
Another AHA concern targets a 1.9% negative payment adjustment to account for case-mix coding between 2007 to 2009, which CMS indicates made it look like certain patients were more expensive to care for than they actually were. And a third issue deals with potential loss of "Sole Community Hospital" favorable payment classification, given to facilities with fewer than 50 acute care beds that are rural or at least 35 miles away from a similar hospital.
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
The Promise of Healthcare Analytics
Healthcare is rich in data. Yet healthcare lags in using data analytics to learn about the people it serves and to improve its operations and bottom line. Leaders are overcoming structural and cultural hurdles to involve many end users—executives, managers, and clinicians—as well as analysts.
On the proposed rule's language on readmissions, Pollack's letter said, the AHA has "continually urged CMS to make changes to these readmission measures" to:
- Properly adjust for patient characteristics (dual-eligible status and race/ethnicity);
- Differentiate between planned and unplanned readmissions;
- Differentiate between related and unrelated readmissions; and
- Exclude extreme circumstances (transplant, end-stage renal disease, burn, trauma, psychosis and substance abuse.)
"The AHA strongly disagrees with CMS's decision and believes that the agency has ignored Congress's intent that the measures be modified to address thee factors," Pollack wrote.
Section 3025 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act specifically calls for negative payment adjustments for higher rates of readmissions take into consideration "exclusions for readmissions that are unrelated to the prior discharge (such as a planned readmission or transfer to another applicable hospital)."
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers