Providers, Payers Largely Favor PPACA Decision
For other parts of the law being rolled out in regulation, such as penalties for higher rates of readmissions and preventable hospital-acquired infections and other conditions, readmission penalties and requirements to reduce hospital-acquired conditions, which Umbdenstock said hospitals will work to change through the regulatory process already underway. And the AHA will work for quick results from the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute for comparative effectiveness conclusions.
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
Strategic Solutions for the Readmissions Challenge
Successfully preventing readmissions requires many players to fill the gaps in the care continuum. In this HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs report, we examine how four leading health systems—Griffin Hospital, Parkview Health, Sarasota Memorial HealthCare System, and UPMC Hamot—are moving the needle.
And Umbdenstock said, the AHA will continue efforts to strengthen the legislation with parts that were dropped before passage, such as tort reform and clarity on how providers help patients make decisions about end-of-life care, a divisive point during the pre-passage debate.
"The nation still needs to have a responsible and continuing dialogue end of life care, and the best way for all of us to plan for the day when we have an advanced illness, and to make decisions before that time as to the way in which we would like to receive that care," he said.
Other key segments of the industry responded favorably to the court's opinion, with some caveats.
"This decision protects important improvements, such as ending coverage denials due to pre-existing conditions and lifetime caps on insurance, and allowing the 2.5 million young adults up to age 26 who gained coverage under the law to stay on their parents' health insurance policies," Jeremy Lazarus, MD, president of the American Medical Association said in a statement.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- Uncompensated Care Faces a Double Hit in Some States
- Hospital Pricing Transparency a Marketing Game Changer
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions
- Hospitals Profit On Bloodstream Infections